Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sometimes the little things...

Today was an amazing day....yet so simple at the same time. Recently I've been thinking about how much I would like to see something truly majestic...something beautiful in the world. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to see but I knew it had to be majestic. Well this morning I believe I got a glimpse of that. I woke up early (530am to be exact) today and started my day with a beautiful smile from Parker. What better way to start the day!! I dropped him off at school and headed to the hospital. Now don't panic...several weeks ago I had a yearly check up with my physician and he decided to send me for blood work and x-rays. See I've gained what I perceive as an excessive amount of weight since having Parker and this has begun to concern me. I've had some other symptoms that I (and others) feel may be a result of an under active thyroid. I've also had some lower back pain and soreness in my left foot. Okay so I head off to St Vincents (after putting this off for three weeks) to have blood drawn and x-rays done. I'm nervous about the blood drawing and have that "yucky" feeling in my stomach. I've prayed about today and asked God to calm my nerves. Well I park and head into the building only to realize I'm in the wrong one. Well my first instinct is to get flustered and frustrated. But I pause a moment and think "No I can do this"..So I keep going until I reach the lobby where a very sweet girl directs me across the breeze way to the next (and correct) building. I proceed on in my short but meaningful journey. I reach the doors that lead out to the breezeway and as I walk through the doors I am greeted by pure beauty. See the hospital is situated right on the river facing the east and it's the most amazing sight at 6:55 in the morning. I slow my walk to take it in(of course I'm in NO hurry to have my blood drawn). The sun is coming up over the water which is very still and quiet. There aren't many people and the ones that are there are hurrying along. It's almost as if I am the only person seeing this. I want to scream at the top of my lungs "STOP...just stop a moment and see this!" but I don't. I relish in the moment and proceed on. I head up stairs to the lab which I believe opens @ 7am but does not open until 730am. So I sit in the hallway and have a pleasant conversation with a very nice older woman who is also waiting. When the lab opens we are the first two in and the woman who took my blood was wonderful and didn't hurt me one bit. I then head down to the Imaging Center and of course the x-rays were harmless. It's been a good day so far and it's only 8:30. Now as I'm walking out the doors and back across the breezeway I'm in forward motion headed to the doors leading to the next building and the parking garage...Got to get to work, got to get to work...But suddenly something makes me turn and head to the walk way that runs along the river. There is a railing and I walk quite meaningfully towards it. I stop there and just breathe. I take in the warmth of the sun, the smell of the morning and the stillness of nature. And then I stood right there and I PRAYED...I prayed to God and thanked him that I woke up this morning and I was breathing. I asked him to be with our family during these recent struggles..but mainly I praised him for showing me something MAJESTIC. It wasn't the mountain or valley or vast landscape or even ancient architecture that I had been imagining over the last few weeks...but there it was right there in front of me and....It was better.

As I made my way into the next building and down the halls of the hospital I'm taking it all in and realizing that I LOVE this place. I know this is a strange statement but I had this feeling...like I belong there. Not as a patient but an employee (physical therapist to be exact). I love the smell, the sounds, the feeling...I love it all. I couldn't help but smile at everyone who passed me and I had an extra pep in my step. And then as I was walking towards the parking garage I passed a young girl in the hallway who from what I could tell had Downs Syndrome. But the part that got me was the way she was laughing out loud very randomly as if someone was telling her a joke in her ear every few steps and no one else knew but her. For me it was a peaceful moment and I thought to myself "GOD is in this building today...he's making her laugh and he gave me peace." And all of this before 9am....HE is truly amazing.

2 comments:

Sunshinejr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

I love this post! God most certainly answers our prayers for Him to reveal Himself to us. He shows up in big and small ways. I love you girl!